Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lost in Translation

Setting: Talking to our middle-aged rather portly Costa Rican guide on our 25 km hike through the Osa peninsula.

Tiene buena forma!
What I meant to say: You're in good shape!
What I said instead: You have a good body.
Correct spanish: Esta en buena forma.

Setting: Talking to the hostel owner.
Tiene una cucaracha para mi sandwich?
What I meant to say: Do you have a spoon for my sandwich? (to spread the pb&j)
What I said instead: Do you have a cockroach for my sandwich?
Correct spanish: Tiene una cuchara para mi sandwich?

I'm back in San Jose staying an Tranquilo Backpackers (it gets the thumbs up from me. I personally hated Pangea). Arenal was a good place to go, and the bridges were pretty. Quite honestly, after Osa, everything seems a bit diluted. We also tried the hot springs at Baldi and realized that it was Spring Break Cancun central.

Tomorrow: Western Union to get my money. Bus to Puerto Viejo.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

exciting experience. Mom.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home